Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Generosity of Galloping Horses


I was just reading a devotional about judging, and the author used an example from her own life. She related that she was able to visit both her grandmothers' homes, both of whom were quilters. While one grandmother made her practice endlessly, and made her rip things out and redo them to her satisfaction, the other grandmother was always encouraging. She would call out to the grandfather things like, "Look how Laura's improving! I do believe she's turning into quite the seamstress!"
While both women made quilts, the perfectionist wouldn't enter a quilt contest unless she was confident she would win. Her quilts were a work of art. The other woman was more prolific; she had fun, and made functional quilts with great love. Her seams weren't straight, the corners not tight, and the edges had puckers. Her motto was, "You'll never notice from the back of a galloping horse."
What a great attitude! I love it. Perhaps because in my quilts, my projects, and in my life my seams may be a little crooked, too. I'm thankful for those who look with eyes of kindness and generosity, and even squint if you have to, to ignore the flaws you'd never see from the back of a galloping horse anyway.

6 comments:

Mike and Julina said...

Great message!

grammaDawn said...

OK, that's about the greatest thing I've read in a long time. I really like that message and hope I can remember it forever.

Candy Jane said...

Oh my. How timely for me - I have been experiencing a high ratio of puckered edges and weird corners while sewing on the "never-ending quilt project". Now I'll smile instead of frown, and ponder your thought provoking post. Thanks for sharing!

joni said...

thumbs up.

Jennis said...

if this story is in reference to the trailer project you have pictured in this post, I think you might be being a little hard on the quality you bring to all things you do!! I like the message anyways.

Jennis said...

oh and the trailer looks really comfy and happy that she has new life brought back to those old cushions. nice work Mom and Pop!