Friday, July 17, 2009

Ya Wanna Raise Your Bloodpressure?

It's easy. All you have to do is voice an opinion different from the noisy minority!
Yesterday afternoon we went down to Winlock and had a lovely visit with Grandma Huston. I want to be as gracious and loving and full of life when I am in my 80's as she is. What a great example of a lady.
What has this to do with heart-thumping encounters, you ask? Well, we got to talking about Obama, bail-outs, his statement that "we are no longer a Christian nation..." and what we think is right, and we all agreed that we better start getting informed, and making good choices at the polls, etc. I said that I think we need to start writing emails to our representatives, and start being a voice that states our opinion about the direction we'd like to see our country go. Yup, yup, yup, that's what we need to do all right.
Isn't it interesting how the Lord puts opportunity right in our paths? I checked my email before I went to bed, in case something wonderful was put on during the day, and a "friend" that I accepted to Facebook had taken up the whole first page with at least a dozen entries. Gadzooks. Among all the polls she had taken that day, and all the crud she felt the whole world needs to know about, ("I have 227 friends! I didn't know I was so popular!!")(barf) was her statement that we should not sign the referendum stating that marriage is between one man and one woman. She is in the group against it, and stated her opinion most decidedly. Fine. Have it. (She also used a bunch of initials when she said that "some of her friends are SBDEFZQ" (okay, the Q is the only one I remember) anyone know what that means?)
Soooooo, in the tradition that to not speak is to imply agreement, I commented back that I had already signed it, and that Heavenly Father has been very clear about his opinion on the subject. That's all. I WISH I had referenced the Proclamation on the Family from the First Presidency. WELL!!! This morning I had several return comments, one of them quite hostile. Whew!
Well, I just had the YW motto pop up in my head, "I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father, who loves me, and I love Him...I will stand as a witness of God, in all things, in all places, and at all times as I strive to live the young women values..." Guess what; It's harder than it sounds. But I did it, and I'm glad.
I commented back once more, that "I knew I was invoking the wrath of...hmmm, her I guess, but that this was a free country and I hoped I had at least as much right to my opinion as she had to hers, and let's us agree to respectfully disagree. Have a nice day." The End.
Then I took that person off my friends list, cause guess what? I've about had it with Facebook. I wonder if it's a good use of my time, because I blog to the people I REALLY want to keep in touch with, and the rest feels just a hair voyeuristic to me. I think I'd be better served to put my time into a note or a phone call. I know, I don't know if I'd do it either. Thanks for listening, I feel better now.

8 comments:

Zach said...

Good for you mom! Take a stand!

rumblebug said...

You know, I signed that petition the other day at Walmart and as I was going inside yesterday a woman was loudly telling the people with the petition that they ought to be ashamed. I wasn't as strong as you were and I didn't say anything to the defense of the referendum or the people standing there and I am still sick that I didn't atleast express my support. Good for you for taking a stand. Love you!

Melinda C said...

It has been said more than once lately that now is the time to get off the fence. What you did is a prime example to all of us as to how we need to act and respond. I pray I can be as courageous next time this happens in my life.

grammaDawn said...

You go cuz, you're what this world needs more of. We all need to stand up for what we believe. In the world, bad is good and good is bad and it's only going to get worse. We all need to be that brave!!

Em said...

Go Mama G0!

Jennis said...

YOu have to be careful out there for sure. I have a college roommate who has proudly gone apostate and she is really vocal on ALLLL her opinions and not just against the church though it is definately included. it makes me wonder why. I'm sad for her but she's not. anyways. I would gladly sign the petition if I get the chance and I am with you on standing up it gets ugly and very heated even when you try to be nice. My biggest frustration is that they are allowed to have their opinion and be right but if we speak any portion of our opinion we're not only wrong we're wrong and somehow hateful. why are their "opinions" acceptable and ours are unthinkable?? whatever, loud mouths. I can be loud. I think I just was....:)

my verification word is tralla. like go along humming and put this all behind you... tra la la la la...

joni said...

Just a quick note to tell you I'll be in town next Monday. I'll call soon to see what you guys have going on that week.

Candy Jane said...

Wow, that sounded like "home"!! Good on ya, girl. I've always admired your strong faith and moral fiber.
Whatcha been doing this summer?