Sunday, August 1, 2010

Whether You Think You Need It or Not




It has taken me so long to find the pieces and apparatus to download my 200+ photos from my camera that now I only have patience for a short blog. Check back soon, because I now have lots of material from which to draw inspiration for blog posts!
While Zach and Debbie were here from Utah we decided to go see the ocean. It has been so long since I had been there that I forgot that Ocean Shores is miserable cold!!! This is just a tiny moment in that day that made me think as I watched it transpire.
Imagine the cold wind blowing it's icy fingers down a bitty neck, and hair being whipped around in watermelon slices. I think Taylor's lips were going blue, and her arms had goose bumps. While it's true that Taylor wasn't complaining, and may have happily endured the weather for the privilege of running around the beach, Auntie Amanda had a better plan for her warmth, health and ultimate happiness.
She rounded up an Elmo Sweatshirt and called Taylor to her. Taylor went willingly and let her put that shirt over her head. It didn't go easily, however, and there was a good deal of tugging and wiggling. All the while Taylor is in the dark, her arms flailing trying to maintain her balance. With a final insistent tug the sweatshirt goes over her head and there is daylight for Taylor once again. Her little arms require a small amount of coaxing into the sleeves, but it seems easy in contrast to the head opening.
One might think that would be sufficient, but Amanda also saw that her hair was still being tossed about her head and went to work fixing that problem. Still Taylor stood while her piggies were pulled straight and reworked. In the end she was warmer, able to see without hair being blown in her face, and able to eat without straining her food through her tresses. She was released and went on with her day.
I thought how trusting Taylor was that Auntie Amanda was going to be helping her somehow. While she was content with her lot, she knew that someone wiser would improve her situation. It required some tugging, some darkness, some loss of balance, and some delay in her own plans.
Are we as accepting when Heavenly Father says to us, "Come here, I can help you" ?

5 comments:

Melinda C said...

amen!

Debbie said...

Great thoughts, Amanda, and great correlation with trusting our Heavenly Father. You're a wonderful writer.

The picture of the Elmo sweatshirt makes it look like she was wearing an over-sized mask on her face! Perfect timing!

It was so wonderful to be able to spend time with you again; even though we only chatted for glimpses of time, I loved spending time with you.

grammaDawn said...

Once again, wise words coming from an amazingly wise woman. Always enjoy your posts and anxious for the next.

Debbie said...

Don't know why I thought Amanda wrote this. Great thoughts, Mom!!

Jennis said...

I had this same thought without the eloquent words during my presidency meeting today... We worked on our situation and closed with a prayer and as my thoughtful Primary president prayed for my family and the life choices that need to be made I crumbled in tears... My first thought was "I DID NOT want to go to Yelm 2nd ward, I knew I'd hate it there, and then I found myself in a mess of sobbing at the thought of possibly leaving all that I have come to adore... OH how our father knows best. Then the inspiration came (or peace) "maybe I don't want to go now, and yes the transition will be tough, but maybe it will be the best place of all." where along the path of life did I lose my faith in the Lord's plan for me? or us? The answer to my prayers came today in the form of a peaceful feeling that told me, "it will all be ok." and the good part is... I believe it.