Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mixed Bag...Of What Do You Suppose?






When I'm teaching, I always take a moment to explain any idioms I use in conversations with the kids. This week I said someone was "asleep at the switch", and then explained what a switchman was, and how disastrous it could be if he were neglecting his duty; asleep at the switch. Then we get back to the lesson. Because of that habit I instantly wondered where the phrase "mixed bag" comes from. We use it when describing the weather, or the day's activities, or multiple subjects within one blog. Because I wish I had some, I think it should refer to penny candy, back when you picked from a candy counter and the salesclerk put your selection into a bag. What do you think?
But, back to the blog. I think pictures are the best part of everyone's blog, so I like to include some, even if they are a bit random.
I dropped by Jennis's house last week because I missed everyone, and the kids were on the tramp. That was hysterical. Taylor will not be denied, and seeing her bitty body jumping, and rolling, and running, and flopping between Jacey and Luke was funny! It should not be hard to pick my absolute favorite, because how she looks represents how I feel. And I say, Why not! --- Let's all jump around in whatever we want, holding whatever blankie makes us feel happy and secure, squeezing everything we can from the experience. The heck with our hair! Have some FUN!
I think the far-away family likes seeing the monthly dinner pics, so there are few of those. Lucas loves playing with the big boys, and it is so very good for him to wrestle with someone as tough as him!
Next: I'm thinking it's time to take the plunge, I think I'm going to go get my business license and market this artwork of mine. I've got jewelry coming out my ears (and off my neck, ankles, and wrists) and I have to sell some so I can justify making some more. I have watercolors begging to be notecards, hand crochet-edged baby blankets ready to welcome a newborn, etc, etc. I know those who have been there might think I'm crazy, but hey, I already admitted that! After going around in my head for several years I think I've settled on Beach Breeze Studio. (Imagine it in a pretty font, if you would) What do you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say go for it!

Debbie said...

Sounds like a fabo idea! Then I can tell people 'I know someone who...'! It will also be a great way to share your myriad of talents with others, and get the funds to make even more.

Zach said...

Mom have you checked out etsy.com? You can sell some of your stuff through that before you even get your licence. You will also get practice on uploading pictures, etc.

grammaDawn said...

Go for it, cuz. I've always wanted to start up a little business, but too afraid. A name with anything beachie is always good. Good luck with your ventures, sounds like you have talents in many fields, perfect!

Jennis said...

Who says your crazy? where are these dream suckers? What in the world does it hurt to take steps toward success? Geez. Do it mom, you're a pro, you've been paying attention, you're open to suggestion, learning the business. You'll fail your way to success if you have to. It's gonna be great. can't wait. I would look into Zach's suggestion about etsy. I have a friend who sells her purses on there, it's pretty well known as well, like a craigslist for businesses. Love ya can't wait to see your stash on display. have you got your domain yet? brand yourself, get out there. :) GO BIG or GO HOME. wow, I'm really in a mood. hahaah XO xo moooaaaa.

Candy Jane said...

Whatever Jennis is having, I want some too! Whooee. And YES, go for your joy! I'm glad Zach mentioned etsy.com, that was the first thing I thought of...I'll be waiting to see the jewelry. And I've ALWAYS loved your watercolors - your sweet spirit just shines throug them. Like the name, too - also very "you"!
WHEN are we going to get together again - so much to share!