Saturday, September 26, 2009

kids are funny

I wanted to share a couple of moments from my Friday school day. I had asked the kids to color a picture of themselves that I intend to use for markers as they reach their reading goals. I'll put their face underneath the 25%, 50%, etc. Everyone was doing a very serious job, making their hair and eyes the actual color, putting on the shirt they were really wearing, things like that. Then one guy gave me a totally black square. He colored it very dark black, with just two small spaces not colored in completely. I was confused. I said, "Um, Ethan, I'm not gettin' this." He deadpans, "I'm a ninja."

The next funny moment was when I was doing some lunchroom duty. I walk around and open milk, stop children from poking each other, and each other's sandwiches, advise them to "remember your 12" voices, stuff like that. Toward the end some children ask if they can wipe tables as a job from the custodian.(She gives then PRIDE tickets to be used in a drawing at assembly) There was one young man among them who has long greasy hair and a longer reputation for trouble. As things were winding down this very distinctive young man looks up at me with sad eyes and says in a droll, slow, plaintive, voice, "Mrs. Seversike, dontcha even recognize me?"
I smiled and said, "Why, of course I recognize you, how are you doing?" At which point he wraps his arms around me, buries his head in my stomach, (pressing his bleach rag into my back)and says after a long,drawn out sigh, "I'm fine." Apparently the start of school is tough on all of us. Let us remember the power in being recognized and given a hug. It can make the whole day better.

9 comments:

Zach said...

I like the Ninja one!
My word is "Cannun"

Mike and Julina said...

The Ninja story is very funny. The other one is sad, sweet and oh so true! We all want to be recognized!

Melinda C said...

so, so sweet. And you'll not soon forget the Ninja, either.

Candy Jane said...

Reminded me of some special moments with "my kids" while working nine years with Susan Gresset and Betty F. Those kids can really getcha!

Jennis said...

look at all those comments and only 2 of them are from your children. that last one made me tear up a little bit, I won't lie. and I love the way their little brains work.

Jennis said...

ps, I sure like your purple background...heheheee. ;)

my word is bonspea?? what is the world...

grammaDawn said...

I love kid stories. I was a para for several years and worked with 5& 6 graders. One year we had a 6th grader from the Marshall Islands. The teacher I worked with was asking him how his family was doing. When she got to his younger bother she said, "So how about Dick, how is he liking school this year?" In that instant, another student whipped his head around and as serious as could be
said, "You mean that can be a name for a boy too?" It took me a second, but then I could hardly keep from totally cracking up.

Debbie said...

I had a morning like that student did - I continue to feel like an extra while the rest of my team is the steady cast, and when I join in a conversation, my comment is usually either misunderstood with a "what??" or simply ignored.
A few minutes later I spent a few minutes on break with someone else I'm getting to know and that made all the difference.
I think it is human nature to feel wanted and accepted. I know it is this human's nature.
My word is dediste - is that some future or latin form of detest?

Amanda Lee said...

I swear I left a comment on this one but, alas, it's not there!(uggrr) any way, who doesn't want to be a ninja?