Sunday, February 22, 2009

Teeter-Totter



We spend quite a bit of time like this anymore, his black laptop next to my white one. He's reading Wisconsin census pages from 1880 and I'm reading my kids blogs being continually amazed at what cute grandbabies I have. He's jotting down notes about Lars Torreson Sandvik from Holmedal, Norway, and I'm jotting down notes to Jenna, Amanda and Jennis about life in the fast lane. He's excited to find a relative that's been hidden, and I'm excited to talk to a child in Idaho I haven't touched base with in too long. He finds a detail from the past to share with me and I find a detail from the present to share with him. He's very much wanting to make connections with his relatives of the past, and I'm very much wanting to make connections with relatives of this day. I support him as he is working to connect our family from here backward, and he supports me as I work to connect our family from here forward. It occurs to me that both are absolutely necessary. He is forging the links that secure us to our heritage, and I'm strengthening the ones that we make right now with our posterity. With the two of us standing hand in hand, he reaches out into the past with his free hand, and I reach out into the future with mine. Connecting families for generations.
We are like two little kids sitting on a teeter-totter; one going up, the other down. Neither of us would hop off and drop the other, neither of us would want the other to get hurt. So we give a little push as our feet touch the ground, giving the other the momentum to reach a little higher. It's all about family, and we need and love them all.

2 comments:

McPherson family said...

That is really neat! I love family history, but don't have enough time to do it lately. I guess maybe I would if I didn't blog and things like that huh? Anyway, so true about what you said. You wanted to know who sang that acapella song. The group is called Voice Male. You can go to www.voicemalemusic.com to listen to some clips. This one is from the cd HIMS. I really liked them. So good!!! Love you. I also wanted to tell you that I LOVE reading your comments, so keep them coming!!!!

Jennis said...

I think it would be dandy if you became a PC, it seems we have less struggles conenncting to the rest of the world, I know you like certain things about your apple but I think the PC would grow on you. AS for deleting comments I think that might be a help I would have to do in front of the actual computer. I'll look at mine and see if I can navigate you through. love ya