Sunday, May 29, 2011

Me, too.


Today in Sunday School we were talking about hypocrites in the scriptures; the scribes and pharisees who wanted to trick and trap Jesus, but not listen to him. Then we talked about those who truly worshiped him, and wanted to show their love and devotion to him. When He entered Jerusalem they put down palm leaves and shouted hosannas when they saw him. We read about the woman who washed his feet, and dried them with her hair, a very personal expression of her devotion. The question was then posed to the class, "How can we worship the Savior better?" and there were some good answers given. We can think on the sacrament more deeply, we can be more reverent in the chapel. We can be on time and sit a moment quietly contemplating. We can attend the temple, and we can serve one another. Then Brother Taylor, in complete candor and honesty, said that he wished he could worship better, that sometimes he felt he lacked a way to show the love and gratitude that he feels in his heart. More people offered that serving is the way we show our love, that giving of our time and means is the way we give honor to him. Some said we could be more diligent in our prayers. Others said that there are opportunities to serve everywhere.
I felt for him, as he sat quietly listening to people talk. There seemed to be a sadness in his eyes. I think I know what he was trying to say. I consciously limit my comments to one per class, and this was where I chose to use it. When it was my turn I said that when Dallin Oakes was here last year, we all made a point to be where he was. We got to the building very early, we couldn't wait to see him, to shake his hand if possible. Think of the sacrifices we were willing to make to share time with him. He is an apostle of the Lord, who walks and talks to prophets. Just that connection makes us want to be near him. I said sometimes I wish I could get a glance of the Savior too, and be the one to wash his feet with my tears,and dry them with my hair.
What we'd give to touch his robe, to give him a drink of water, to feed him bread! Yes, I understand that the closest we'll get to it in this life is to 'do it unto the least of these, our brethren'. I understand 'he has no hands but ours'. I get that service is our expression of faithful devotion. But sometimes there is an ache, a sadness, perhaps a kind of loneliness that washes over us. I think perhaps it is our homesick spirit wishing for the associations we once had with loved ones, our Father, and our Savior. We have left a home we knew long, and loved well. I felt Brother Taylor's sweet spirit just yearning for a way to express to Jesus Christ his great appreciation for his sacrifices. Maybe he and I just need to bolster our faith that He knows when we serve our brothers and sisters that we are thanking him, but I think he knows we'd all love to say thanks in person, too. Guess we'll just have to do our best here, and wait with rejoicing for another day and time for that.

3 comments:

Jennis said...

as I wipe the tears with jacey's sweats that were lying here on the floor next to me I think to myself, I am grateful for the ability you have to write what the rest of us think, or say what so many can't put into words or aren't brave enough to voice. I recently sat with Marilyn Stucki who has ALS and is at home being cared for by her husband and hospice nurses... I went thinking to myself, "I don't know what I will say, or what I will do- to be in a room with a woman I barely know who can't tell me what she needs or how I can help her." then I thought I would like to be of service to her but what if I am just a burden, a girl who doesn't know how to care for someone in this kind of situation. But hesitation and insecurities put aside I went, and I was filled with the spirit that was in their home. I cried at the love they still show each other. They will be married 43 years next week. It was humbling to be near them. I kind of had a feeling it would end up this way but they were a greater service to me that day by allowing me to see them and be near them than I was, folding that load of laundry and being a friend in the room.

Cute picture too. ;)

Melinda C said...

Beautifully said. I do feel that loneliness sometimes that can only be linked to my heavenly home.

Debbie said...

I needed a reminder to serve Him by serving others. My friend closes her emails with the phrase "Don't think less of yourself; think of yourself less." I suppose I mention that because it reminds me that when I feel like I'm not measuring up to what my Father would have me be, it is probably because I'm not showing gratitude to Him by serving His children.

Jennis, you folding clothes might have been the exact brand of service they needed at that time - I've discovered that the types of service I appreciate from others are not always the same types of service they need in return. Thanks for being a great example to me and to others.